Wednesday 8 February 2012

New Camera bag....but what to choose!

So, I'm giving the lessons a break for a day or two and have decided to write about a bit of a dilemma.  I'm at that time in life (again) where a new camera bag is in order!  It's hardly a life changing decision or anything, but we all have been in those situation where what bag we have seems to hinder us more than help!

It's slinging your backpack off as quick as you can to get a lens to capture the moment.  Your down on the ground furiously digging through your bag until you find it.  Look up and your heart sinks.  Moment. OVER.

I currently only own one bag that's sole purpose in life, is for holding camera gear.  The rest of the time I make do with an old backpack I must have had since I was sixteen.

Old faithful - The Normal Backpack....perhaps a bit too old now

It's a laptop backpack, so has a bit of cushioning on it in some parts, but over time, it isn't great anymore.  The downside is, not having compartments for camera gear.  There's tons of pockets.  Great for pens, paper, wallet, drink, whatever.  But camera's and lenses tend to be wrapped up into scarfs and hoodies to be kept safe as they tumble about inside this bag.

As my equipment list has been growing, I've run out of room in my 'official' camera bag and had never been a fan of it from the start.  Hence using the backpack.
Here's the set up at the minute.   It just isn't practical for the future!

Current 'real' camera bag.  By LoPro
Rain cover included and straps are strong and comfortable

I founf this bag great a while ago when I was just starting out and didn't have that must equipment.  Now the list of gear has grown, I can manage to fit all of it in, but it is a push.  Never good and you will end up with a lens overboard with the cramped situation, and lets be honest, broken lenses are never fun.

My Gear (Winter 2012) :
Nikon D3100 Camera body
Nikon 50mm lens
Nikon 18-55mm lens
Nikon 12-24mm lens
Nikon 70-300mm lens
Speed light
x2 flash triggers
x2 flash receivers
x2 Nikon batteries
x4 AA rechargeable (for speedlight)
x4 AAA disposables (for flash triggers)
Business cards
Lose change
ID's

Contents of this little Camera bag (believe it or not!)

I have a few trips coming up and I'm hoping to gather some work for a project I hope to have exhibited in the future.
Time and money are both of the essence and I really need something that is easy to work with, comfortable to carry, protects my equipment, has enough room for what I need and has the options for easy arrangements and is compact enough for travel.

Hardly difficult to figure out, but ebay is a great place to find a few bargains or at least have a range of what you are looking for all under one roof.
The idea of a shoulder bag seems inviting after using a backpack for so long.  With that, the shopping began......

During the laborious browsing I found that you could buy inserts to put into your own backpack or shoulder bag.  They are priced around £20 and seem to be made of foam, waterproof material and have the velcro edges for you to customize what you need it for!

Everyones needs are different, everyone is doing different jobs and I'm not the first to say that it is best to have a few options to choose from to carry your equpiment in.

LoPro camera body compartment

I have nothing against the LoPro and it was a useful purchase at the time, but would strongly suggest that you think through where you will be taking your photography.  (both career wise, equipment wise and location wise.) As you can see, everything became a bit of a tight fit after a short time.



Velcro for choice of set up
Lenses, Camera body and speedlight

Triggers, remotes, spare batteries, extra memory cards

I.D, promo wristbands, pens, loose change

Business cards - Always important to take with you!
As I am lining up a trip to put together the work I hope to take to exhibition in the future.  You can find out more about the project on my website: http://www.suzitaylorphotography.com/ (Projects page)
I really want be be comfortable when working on location and have something convenient to work with when it comes to carrying equipment.

So, finally! After a few days debating the situation, I've decided to go for this one......
Here's a link to the bag in case it just so happens to be up your street or something you are looking for:


I'll be writing a few articles about preparation for my project and trip.  The Facebook page will be kept up to date each time there is a new post. Please feel free to check it out and click the 'Like' button to keep updated :)  

Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment